|Date Posted||February 9, 2019|
Sports, Fitness & Recreation
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs forest restoration and wildfire hazard reduction tasks under general direction in a safe, cost-effective and efficient manner to meet forest ecosystem management goals.
- Performs duties in accordance with prioritized tasks to meet specified project objectives.
- Uses and operates hand and power tools.
- Drives a city vehicle in the performance of work tasks.
- Operates four wheel drive and/or standard transmission vehicles on rough terrain.
- Repairs and maintains related equipment.
- Observes best management practices for vegetation and wildlife within forest treatment project areas as provided by Forest Ecologist and other staff.
- Works as part of a team, attending training, orientation and/or staff meetings as needed.
- Observes and gives feedback on forest conditions and staff progress.
- Responds as needed to assist with prescribed fires or to suppress wildland fires on City of Boulder lands.
- Takes proper safety precautions, anticipates unsafe circumstances, and acts accordingly to prevent accidents. Uses all proper safety equipment. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
- Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
The City of Boulder is committed to hiring employees who provide excellent customer service. Our employees act with a high level of integrity, and take responsibility for their words and actions. City of Boulder employees strive to respect and appreciate each individual's differences, and to work effectively with all people and their diverse backgrounds. We support candid and honest interactions, which respect other points of view, and are sensitive to communication differences. We achieve organizational goals through inclusive problem solving, planning, and decision-making. Community partnerships are included in this effort.
EQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to perform a wide range of physical and manual tasks in an outdoor environment under a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to evaluate conditions in assigned area and make judgments related to safety.
- Ability to follow established procedures and direction.
- Ability to operate a variety of hand and power tools.
- Ability to successfully complete Wildfire Red Card training and work capacity testing for wildland firefighters (pack test at arduous level - 3 mile hike with 45 pound pack in 45 minutes).
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Driving skill, experience, valid driver's license and acceptable motor vehicle record required.
- Have and maintain acceptable background information, including criminal conviction history.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS - in addition to the required minimum qualifications:
- College coursework in forestry, natural resource management, environmental biology, or related field.
- Experience using a compass and reading aerial photo maps.
- Experience using chainsaws, tractors, skidders, or other related equipment.
- Certifications in CPR and/or First Aid.
WORKING CONDITIONS – Required Physical and Mental Effort and Environmental Conditions: Physical Demands: Primarily strenuous physical work in an outdoor environment requiring the ability to frequently stand, walk, and kneel for extended periods of time while using manual, power and long handled tools in an outdoor environment under a variety of weather conditions; and to operate equipment while working in and around moving traffic. Upper body strength requiring the ability to lift up to 65 pounds on a daily basis and over 100 pounds on an occasional basis. Work Environment: Frequently works outside with an exposure to a variety of weather conditions. Machines and equipment used include, but are not limited to the following: : Tractors, brush chippers, 4-wheel drive trucks and trailers; standard office equipment including personal computers, telephones, calculators and copy/fax machines.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.