Love the forest? If so, there is a job for you in the forest service technician field. Being a forest service technician is a great way to spend your days outdoors in the forest. The good news is that there are positions in this field available and for an entry level position you don’t need a college degree or a lot of experience. To become a forest service technician you need some basic skills and a love of working out in nature. From there, you can work your way up into higher, more skilled, positions within the forest service field.
What They Do
So just what will you be doing all day as a forest service technician? A lot! There is a wide variety of duties that those in this position do. Your duties may change daily or weekly, depending on what is needed at the time. Here are some of the duties that a forest service technician may engage in:
• Helping to maintain trails.
• Recording wildlife habitats and keeping track of wildlife numbers.
• Educating the public about fire safety, wildlife, and forest rules and guidelines.
• Patrolling ski areas if you are working in an area that has skiing.
• Assisting in maintaining the campgrounds and educating people on safe camping.
• Repairing trails, as well as helping to construct new ones.
• Planting trees or other shrubs in areas that have been damaged.
• Enforcing regulations regarding wildlife and plant life.
• Analyzing the trees for growth, as well as for damage or disease.
• Evaluating sites and helping to carry out prescribed burns.
The position of a forest service technician is one that includes a variety of duties, but it is one that will keep you outdoors most of the time. Most forest service technicians work on a team so they will also have to get along well with others, follow directions, and take initiative at times.
Getting the Job
Getting hired as a forest service technician should not be all that difficult for the person who loves to work outdoors. You will need to be at least 18, have a high school diploma, and some work experience. The work experience doesn’t need to be in any particular field though. This is what is needed for most entry level positions. If you want to start at a higher level you should obtain some college courses, in fields that are related to forestry and wildlife studies. Those with a college degree in these fields will have the best opportunity for moving into leadership positions and earning more.
The average salary that can be expected for a forest service technician is around $25,000 to $47,000 per year. Those who are entering the field without experience will likely start on the lower end, and those who have more experience and a degree will be at the higher end. There is opportunity for advancement in the forestry service field, with top positions paying over $90,000 per year.
If you are interested in working as a forest service technician apply for the positions and also begin advancing your knowledge of the field. Start by taking a course or two in a related field so you may be able to advance in both position and salary at a quicker rate. This is a good position for those who love the forest, wildlife, and want to spend their time in all it has to offer.